DEPARTMENT OF PETROLEUM RESOURCES
7 KOFO ABAYOMI STREET, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS
Our attention has been drawn to an online publication quoting from a report by the Swiss, watchdog group, ‘Public Eye’ accusing Swiss trading companies of importing “dirty diesel” with more than 100 per cent Sulphur content into Nigeria and some other African Countries due to weak regulatory standards.
The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) as the Petroleum Regulatory Agency in Nigeria wish to state that the report is erroneous and misleading in its entirety and hereby restates as follows:
- That there is an established petroleum products traceability protocol for receipt of imported petroleum products cargoes that ensures all products can be traced to a refinery of origin thereby eliminating products from unknown sources.
- Nigeria’s product specifications are of international standards and sometimes exceeds some of these standards.
- All petroleum products (Automotive Gas Oil inclusive) are properly analyzed at registered third party laboratories to ensure accurate and unbiased results before any vessel is cleared to discharge at our depots.
- All products receiving depots are statutorily required to have in-house laboratory for conducting tests of key product quality parameters such as flash point, Density, Octane rating, Sulphur content, water content, etc
- Products samples are taken daily from active tanks and analyzed to make sure they meet specification before truck out is allowed.
- Samples are also taken and analyzed from trucks conveying products from coastal depots to inland depots to ensure that product quality is not compromised during transit before trucks are dispatched to retail outlets
- All the above tests at various stages of petroleum products distribution and supply chain are witnessed by assigned DPR staff as part of our regulatory oversight function.
We hereby state that the contents of the report should be disregarded by all stakeholders and the public as there is no off-specification petroleum products in Nigeria.
We wish to reassure the public that the operations of DPR are guided by strict adherence to international regulatory standards in alignment with our mission statement of ensuring sustainable development of Nigeria’s oil and gas resources, protection of our people’s Health and Safety through effective regulation.